Sunday, June 10, 2007

Whom Do I Serve?


"When I'm interrupted the most is when God can refine me the best."




I am awed at the quick discipline of the Lord. The closer my relationship comes to Him the clearer I see His movement in my life. Let me give you an example.

We take turns carrying the beeper from our office. Our line of business deals with the elderly and we must be accessible around the clock in the event of an emergency. My personal time of study is five thirty to six thirty every morning. This is the time I sit down and prayerfully approach writing devotionals.

This particular day began quiet as I headed into the office to write. It seems I’d hardly gotten started before the beeper kept sounding. Minutes passed as I handled call after call. My thoughts for the devotions quickly went out the back door. After completing the phone tasks, I turned my attention back to the devotional. That’s when reality hit. Every thought I had was gone. My mind was blank.

I leaned back in my chair and said, “Well Lord, perhaps we can do something about praying with scriptures. Maybe find a good scripture we can share that readers can pray with. My entire line of thought is gone and now I’m working against the clock. I have to be at work soon.” That’s when God impressed upon my heart a scripture I couldn’t deny.

Matthew 22:36-39 tells us, ‘“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?’ Jesus replied” Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Okay, so I get it. Interruption after interruption led me to want to cut corners – choose something that was fast and easy just to get the work completed. God quickly asked me, “Whom do you love and whom do you serve?”

“I love You, Lord and I serve You.”

“Then trust me and write.”

Wow, was I surprised. God took the very moment I was in and turned it into a lesson. In my morning of confusion, my first thought was to put my called work to the side or worse yet – skimp. The Father quickly disciplined me. It’s easy for us to lay Christ to the side when life happens. We’re all guilty of sidestepping at times. However, that’s not how God wants us to handle the rush of the moment. He wants us to focus strictly on Him and He will make the necessary adjustments. We simply have to push ahead as planned.

Placing Him first in every situation is always the right way of handling things. We falter when we try a shortcut or attempt to muddle through without His guidance. So, I ask – when life happens, what is your response? It’s not always the fastest solution, but when we continue to move God into the forefront, everything else falls into place.

The next time life rushes in to overtake you, stop and take a deep breath. Ask yourself, “Whom do I love and whom do I serve?” Now answer with scripture. “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” You’ll never go wrong.

Prayer: Father, forgive us when we want to cut You short. Help us to always keep You in the lead.