Tuesday, January 03, 2012

He Will See You Through


And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route. Matthew 2:12

Listen to He Will See You Through - She Said

“Arrrggh. Will you let me sleep?” I shouted when I bolted up from the bed. I knew there was a decision to make…one that affected my entire family and God wasn’t going to let me rest until I said yes.

It meant stepping out on faith. "God," I said, "I have a good job at a time in our economy when thousands do not and you’re asking me to give it up?"

He was. So I did.

Three months after I retired, the house fell into dire need of repair. New siding, new fencing, new stairs, broken driveway, and I’d taken early retirement. Mistake, I wondered?

I call God the great nudger. He’s like the cartoon Daffy Duck dressed as an angel, sitting on my shoulder nudging me. He wakes me in the night whispering in my ear, “Come, follow Me.” Yet when I say yes, His devil counterpart is thrilled when, for lack of better words, “all hell breaks loose.” Something just isn’t right here. When you go to work for God, you’d think things would be smooth sailing.

God nudged the Magi too. After their visit to the Christ child they were warned in a dream not to return home by the usual route. It was their hint from God that it wouldn’t be safe to revisit Herod.

More times than not, when He calls us to do something for Him, it involves a price. These Magi, scholars of their time, had studied for years, paid attention to the signs and wonders and when God placed it on their hearts to GO, they did. They were to serve as witnesses of the fulfillment of scripture and it meant danger for them. Still they did what they were led to do.

Despite the hardship and dangers any of us face in the service of Christ, God always provides care for us. He never fails to open a door of safety, send provision, or warn us of the dangers we might face when we say “yes.” He doesn’t promise a smooth path, for in the wake of Him are those who work to destroy His ways.

God provided for us just as He did for the Magi. The math doesn’t work out on paper but somehow we’ve managed to survive the impact of major home repairs on one income. And we’re still managing because God is Jehovah Jireh (God of Provision). The Magi returned home safely even through the danger because God is Jehovah Shammah (God who is there).

When God calls you, listen...answer...trust. Will it be easy? Definitely not but El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty) will see you through.