Wednesday, July 05, 2006

When the Earth Moves



I am amazed at how someone can look at pictures of our earth and vaguely question that there is a God. Really.....just look at this picture--->

My Dalmatian woke me the other night wanting outside. At fourteen, her bones creak and crack as she limps down the stairs. As I opened the door and swipped at my eyes, I realized what a beautiful bright night it was. The moon was full and it hung low in the sky. I almost felt like I could reach out and touch it.

I sat down on the front porch and leaned back on my elbows. As my eyes began to adjust to the night light one by one, stars came into view. It was like someone was walking from star to star pulling a light cord and clicking them on. For a few moments I was awestruck. How can anyone question that God is real? Mankind certainly couldn't create such a wonderous sight.

And to think...this entire universe moves, slowly, consistantly, continually. It takes my breath away. Man spends a lifetime trying to explain away the efforts of one blink of God's eyes and it's just not possible to understand every detail -- all the whys or how comes. We can only trust and have faith that one who is bigger had the vision to create such a magnificant world.

I've heard that there are times in history when the earth moved -- such catastrophic events have happened that shook the earth to its very core. But to me, it doesn't take something huge to know that the earth moves. I only have to gaze into the night sky in faith and watch as we gingerly move throughout our place in space.

Ahhh - sounds so deep, huh? Not really. What is deep is the love of Christ. Ephesians tells us, " I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, withall the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love ofChrist." (Ephesians 3:17, 18)

This love of God is so much more than we can ever imagine or begin to conceive. Yet some still question. I need no further proof than the night sky, or the vastness of a mountain range to make me believe that there is one mightier than anything else.

When the earth moves, it only verifies what I already believe.