Thursday, December 29, 2005

Rest in a hot tub!



There's nothing that brings greater relaxation to me than a hot tub. Crawl in, sink up to your ears in simmering water, take a deep breath in....hold it....exhale slowly, now sigh. AHHHH! You can just feel your worries float away.
I have a spiffy friend who constantly makes me laugh. I told her I needed a trip to the hot tub. She laughed and remarked, "You can't afford a hot tub!"
"No, not a hot tub...you know a hot tub?" I tried to explain.
"Don't be ridiculous. You don't have a place in your house to fit a hot tub."
"Stop being goofy. You know I don't mean a hot tub."
She began to laugh hysterically. "I could see them trying to put a hot tub through your downstairs window."
"What are you talking about?" I asked. "I'm referring to the tub in my bathroom. You know...turn on the hot water and fill the tub. A HOT TUB!"
Needless to say, the worthless and pointless sense of humor continued for sometime. However, when all was said and done, she agreed that there is nothing like a hot tub of water to soothe what ails you. It's as if you loose all track of time for awhile. Your muscles relax, the stress eases and you can think clearly for a few moments.
We all find peace in rest in some arena. My husband reads, my friend exercises (what a torture!) and I like a hot tub. Ultimately for serious rest, I find myself retreating into the Father. I'm always amazed at the peace I am continually offered through Him. God can seep into your heart, circle throughout your body like a whiff of warm steam, clearing out the cobwebs and steam cleaning the interrior. Talk about a sigh of relief. Now, there's a restful sigh.
For the physical rest, I still enjoy a hot tub....not a hot tub, but a hot tub...you know -- a hot tub!